|MAN'S BEST FRIEND
|1993 New Line Cinema Corporation
| Reviewed by Chris Livingston
on 15 March 2001
- Lori Tanner - Ally Sheedy! An ambitious TV reporter who breaks into a lab and adopts Max.
- Dr. Jarret - Lance Henriksen! The mad scientist who created the DNA altered Max and owns EMAX. He fries after killing Max.
- MAX - Tibetan Mastiff with genetically altered DNA. The deadliest dog or animal that ever lived. Gets shot in the end.
- Kovacs - A police detective who is out to find Max and put an end to his rampage. He dies.
- Benetti - Kovacs partner who is also out to stop Max. He needs to loose weight. Dies.
- Perry - Lori's live-in boyfriend, he is considered a threat by the protective and hostile Max. Disfigured when Max pees battery acid on him.
|I'm dedicating this one for dog lovers. I only watched this movie because the director JOHN LAFIA, directed "Child's Play 2" and co-wrote the original. He directed this one as well.
And a strange portrayal of Max , a genetically enhanced guard dog. Played by a TIBETAN MASTIFF with its fur trimmed (usually the breed has more fur). KEVIN YAGHER helped with special make-up effects which are covered with computer effects from COMPOSITE IMAGE SYSTEMS.
The story centers around an ambitious TV reporter (Ally Sheedy) who breaks in and unleashes MAX. Without the drugs to keep him in control, the dog is a killer. He loves Lori, but hates the rest of the cast. Max kills a mailman, a mugger, and a lab technician, but no one under eighteen.
My favorite parts are when the dog climbs a tree like a jaguar and later when he camouflages himself like a chameleon. Oh, he also scares the dog catchers away. It may been better if they left the deleted scenes in. Still, a well done and cool movie!
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Genetic laboratories have bad security.
- Genetically altered dogs can climb trees.
- Genetically altered dogs can pee battery acid.
- Genetically altered dogs naturally know what you are thinking.
- Genetically altering a dog is legal, but genetically altering people is not!
- Never drive fast when a DNA altered dog is attacking you.
- 5 mins - That's fast. Max killed one person already!
- 14 mins - Poor security for a high tech lab.
- 28 mins - GRATUITOUS SEX SCENE!
- 39 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A MAILMAN!
- 60 mins - Dog pees acid on a poor victim's face.
- Ending Credits - Is there going to be a sequel? Max has a son!
- Mailman: "Try something you son of a bitch."
- Jarret: "We are not talking 'Man's Best Friend' here!"
- Lori: (with Max) "Is this dog really a noble sacrifice. Benefiting his life to the betterment of mankind, or is he a victim of the $ 25,000,000 vivisection industry." (Max runs away) "....and this S*** doggy! Max."
- Jarret: "Remember me? Where's my dog?".
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Benetti: "Exactly what kind of work do you do here?" |
Jarret: "I do genetic research, often using animal models."
||Benetti: "Viva what?" |
Kovacs: "Vivisection, those cruel experiments they do on animals to test out new products."
||Perry: "You know what? You're always doing this. You're always bringing something home. You brought home that parrot, that foul mouthed, messy parrot..." |
Parrot: "Rahhh! Screw you!"
||Perry: "Oh God, what are you looking at? That's disgusting! How can you read that before you go to bed?"
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|In a movie full of strange surprises (acid for urine, super intelligence, etc.) this has to take the cake. Watch in amazement as Max easily scales the tree and then swallows a cat! |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |