|Copyright 1997 Grundby Films
| Reviewed by James Hepler
on 'a long time ago'|
- Amy/Alex - "Some kind of criminal" who moves out to the country to avoid Uri.
- Marshall - A field researcher, trying to discover what's eating all the wildlife.
- Uri - Former partner of Amy's, he comes looking for stolen money. Eaten by geckos and shot.
- Mrs. Miller - Nice lady who runs a convenience store. Stealthily killed by the last gecko.
- Mr. Peterson - Eccentric old man, figures out the geckos are around. Eaten by geckos and blown up.
- Merlin the Cat - Amy's pet, instantly realizes the geckos are around. Chewed up by geckos.
- Florence the Dog - Wimpy dog, belonged to Mr. Peterson. First on screen gecko victim.
- Mutant geckos - Nasty rapidly evolving geckos. Shot, blown up, electrocuted and crushed to death.
|The ecology is being ravaged, and the cat keeps getting freaked out! The only possible explanation: mutant geckos are on the loose and rapidly moving up the food chain! Well, more specifically Amy/Alex has gone up to her family cottage to avoid her partner in crime, Uri. Marshall, a field researcher studying why everything is dying, eventually ends up at her cottage to help Amy/Alex identify her pests. Unfortunately for both of them, these pests are mutant geckos who decide humans would be tasty and they have to fight them. Eventually they leave her cabin, and find poor Mr. Peterson devoured by the geckos. Even worse, every car they get into for the entire movie meets some unfortunate demise and a winter storm just came in. It's all slickly made and rarely boring, an excellent soundtrack rounds everything out. Aberration is pretty decent and has a good style about, it's also the only New Zealand movie I've seen or even heard of besides Bad Taste. Well, that's two for two! Go New Zealand!|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Junky VW Beetles have awesome sound systems.
- Cats can sense mutant geckos instantly.
- Old eccentric men can sense mutant geckos a little after cats.
- Creepy music can make anything seem sinister.
- Wearing a mask while in the bathtub looks weird.
- Pink hair looks blonde in anything but medium light.
- Mutant geckos can grow to full size instantly without food.
- Natural gas has a delayed ignition.
- Coat hangers are REALLY scary.
- Mutant geckos can communicate.
- Quick edits can make a lame puppet menacing.
- New Zealand has produced more good movies than just those of Peter Jackson.
- 1 min - Nice hat...
- 6 mins - This guy keeps picking up nasty crap.
- 8 mins - Hah. Who would want a dog that a small lizard can kill?.
- 10 mins - That gun is crappy.
- 11 mins - Well, she's apparently showing off the entire movie's budget...
- 18 mins - I doubt a cat that's afraid of small lizards can kill anything.
- 22 mins - Yuck. The same crap that guy was picking up fell into her hair!
- 25 mins - That nice lady is an anti-government freak!
- 26 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A VW BEETLE!
- 29 mins - That dog looks REALLY fake.
- 31 mins - Darn. Cat's gone, now the only living pets left are the goldfish!
- 34 mins - The first lizard is killed.
- 37 mins - Idiot. Why would she care if you gave the lizard an autopsy?
- 40 mins - Poor Mr. Peterson!
- 41 mins - Wow. It took 3 seconds for the gas to ignite!
- 46 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A TREE BRANCH!
- 50 mins - Nice shot Amy, right in the head
- 53 mins - Ouch. Venom in the eyes.
- 57 mins - Well, no more fish!
- 64 mins - Oh no, eurotrash!
- 69 mins - The semi-cool gunfight. Watch for the malfunctioning lockback.
- 72 mins - His egg bandoleer is eating him!
- 74 mins - Stupid Marshall lit himself on fire.
- 78 mins - Very weird car explosion.
- 81 mins - A line from Reservoir Dogs.
- 84 mins - Ouch! The manual lizard-in-leg-removal!
- 85 mins - Marshall goes psycho.
- Mrs. Miller: "This is bad!"
Marshall: "As opposed to good?" (This is taken from Reservoir Dogs.)
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Marshall: "That's why you opened your mouth, wasn't it? You naughty little boy; you were trying to kill me."
||Amy: "Can I ask you something: are you like, the master of the obvious?"
||Uri: "Stay there, make yourselves comfortable, it's time to die."
||Marshall: "Welcome to the bottom of the food chain!"
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |