|DAWN OF THE MUMMY
|Copyright 1981 Thorn EMI Home Video
| Reviewed by Nick Carroll
on 28 March 2001
- Rick - Scavenger looking for treasure in the Egyptian tombs, a little psychotic at times. Choked to death by a mummy.
- Derrick - Rick's partner in treasure hunting. Gets a butcher knife stuck in his head.
- Careeb - Egyptian man who tags along with Rick and Derrick searching tombs. Clocked in the head by a stone slab/secret door.
- The Fashion models - Several young women who are sent to Egypt for a fashion shoot. Disposed of in several mummy attacks.
- Bill - Businessman who is the main supervisor of the photo shot. Choked to death then gutted by the dead.
- Gary - Photographer who takes the pictures of the models.
- Xena - Mentally unbalanced woman who warns several men about the tomb of Seferaman. Choked to death by a mummy.
|Dawn of the Mummy is very deceiving by its title. It does not follow the classic mummy horror film formula, but is reminiscent of the classic gory type zombie film.
It all begins in 3000 B.C. Seferaman is being put to rest and a curse is set upon his tomb and his riches. We are then sent to the present day with three men who blow open his tomb with dynamite. Meanwhile, several bimbo models arrive in Egypt for a fashion shoot.
The main man in charge, Bill, decides to use Seferaman's tomb soon enough for their scenery. Rick and his pals object, but they let them anyway. Well of course this leads to Seferaman and his army of the dead to return and kill everyone they can get their hands upon. He succeeds this with several deaths for his victims.
I was very surprised when I first watched this film a while back. I was expecting a basic mummy film but I got back a bad movie, zombie mini epic. The only bad part of the movie is the fashion models, they become so annoying you almost want the mummies to lunge at them and tear them to shreds. Personally I don't blame them.
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Bodies can be pretty well preserved under sand for a few thousand years.
- Mummies leak hot oil if they are exposed to light.
- Mummies actually have their own 70's music when they appear.
- Models are compulsive about toenails.
- Decapitated heads are often found lying in the Egyptian sands.
- Mummies love fashion models as snacks.
- 13 mins - The models are going to Egypt for a fashion shoot?
- 15 mins - Enough of the fashion models already!
- 23 mins - Someone just threw a stuffed animal at Careeb, what other great film making techniques can I expect?
- 27 mins - They are going to have a fashion shoot with a mummy that is fizzing hot oil?
- 39 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A HORSE!
- 44 mins - Very zombie-like mummies arise from the sands.
- 76 mins - Mummies that are actually zombies in disguise!
- 80 mins - The mummies interrupt a town square wedding and turn it into a blood bath.
- 87 mins - That big of an explosion for one mummy?
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |