|Copyright 1991 UGC, Constellation, and Hachette Productions
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Louison - New handyman who used to be a circus clown.
- Julie Clapet - The butcher's daughter, she falls in love with Louison.
- Clapet - The butcher, a fairly ugly man inside and out who hires handymen then kills them. He does not survive this movie.
- The Mailman - Crazy dude who delivers the mail, hates Trogs, and wants Julie. Pistol explodes in his face.
- Plusse - Fairly pretty girl who pays for her meat by taking care of the butcher's sausage.
- Aurore and Georges - Rich couple, she is always trying to commit suicide in neat and inventive ways. Blown up.
- Roger and Robert - Two guys who make moo toys, Robert is in love with Aurore.
- The Tapiocas - Poor family, mother, father, two kids and the grandmother. Grandma is chopped up to pay the rent one month.
- Frog Man - This dude who lives in his flooded apartment. Flooded to raise snails and frogs for dinner!
- Troglos - Guys who live in the sewers. They have a very organized society and steal grain when possible. Kind of a French Underground thing.
|Terrific fun even if you don't like subtitles! (The movie is in French with English subtitles - American release of course.)
A butcher hires handymen then chops them up for sale as meat! In walks Louison, retired clown and all around nice guy who soon wins Julie's heart. She can't bear to see him eaten by the tenants so a quick trip into the sewers is in order. There she hammers out a deal with the Troglos to save her lover. In the end all heck breaks loose with Julie, Troglos, and Louison trying to avoid the maniac residents!
You're going to have to see this one, from all of Aurore's crazy suicide schemes to the scene where everyone in the building can hear Clapet banging Plusse - and take up the rhythm! A work of pure genius.
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- In France a cab ride costs one pair of shoes.
- Lighting can make a normally ugly person even uglier.
- Tie cans to your grandmother in case she gets lost.
- French postmen are just as violent as ours. (For fellow Americans.)
- If you wear glasses use them when pouring hot tea.
- The voices in your head are capable of calling someone a "panty-biter" or "ass-wipe."
- Pipes are a underutilized communication medium.
- Women do not get mad when a strange man tells them their bed has "seen alot of use."
- Slapping your daughter does not improve family relations.
- Hacking at a door with meat cleavers and such makes convincing the occupants to come out difficult.
- 9 mins - What is this guy wearing? Refuse? Now he is hiding in a trash can?
- 28 mins - Mailman dude just spit and broke glass?
- 29 mins - What is he doing with that condom and why is it spotted?
- 37 mins - A Chello accompanied by a musical saw?
- 47 mins - Aurore is going to commit suicide by the doorbell ringing and making the sewing machine run, which will pull the lamp sitting on the fabric into the bathtub with her...
- 51 mins - Oh good a rat call.
- 65 mins - Another suicide scheme, this one involves a candle being floated to a rope suspending the sewing machine over her head.
- 75 mins - Now we have the gas oven on (spewing gas), a lethal dose of pills, a noose around her neck, and a rifle pointed at her head with the trigger attached to the door by string.
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |