0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

zombie no.one

Didn't include:

- Shorts
- Movies where he directed one 'segment'

Did include:

- TV Movies
- Movies where he started out as director and was then replaced (THE DARK, and VENOM)

I have no idea what THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS AGAIN is... A Freddy Kruger movie that is somehow not part of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST franchise? Never heard of it, and it has 0 user reviews on imdb.

I have seen 7.

uhh... it is not letting me allow more than one vote? tried editing it and it reverts to only allowing one vote
Quotethe movie was cringe, corny, cheesy and "what the biscuits" is with this atrocious acting and childish corny thing of a movie???

LilCerberus

The way the list is formatted only lets me choose one....

That said, I've seen six, maybe seven....
THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS AGAIN sounds like a couple different episodes from the television series.....
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

zombie no.one

yeah weird he should be credited as director on that? unless he directed the episodes I guess

Quote from: LilCerberus on September 18, 2024, 03:22:45 PMThe way the list is formatted only lets me choose one....

yeah I edited it to allow 22 votes. keeps going back to one. it also says leave box blank to allow unlimited votes. tried that as well and it still goes back to one
Quotethe movie was cringe, corny, cheesy and "what the biscuits" is with this atrocious acting and childish corny thing of a movie???

RCMerchant

I've seen 12.
IMHO, he went downhill quickly, his last good film of any mention being EATEN ALIVE (1976).
POLTERGIEST doesn't seem like a Hooper film at all. It's more Speilberg than Hooper. And SALEM'S LOT, though enjoyable,
seems nuetered, being it was made for TV.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Alex

I believe I've seen 9 of them. I think my favourite is Lifeforce. Just a stupid, fun movie.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

zombie no.one

Quote from: RCMerchant on September 18, 2024, 04:10:48 PMPOLTERGIEST doesn't seem like a Hooper film at all. It's more Speilberg than Hooper.

yeah I think it's kind of an open secret that it's actually a Speilberg movie

Quote from: Alex on September 18, 2024, 04:15:10 PMI think my favourite is Lifeforce. Just a stupid, fun movie.

had no idea that was a Tobe Hooper movie until now! seen it a couple of times. must've not paid attention to the credits...original movie.

I watched CROCODILE (again) recently.. such a typical dumb teen creature horror. totally unoriginal

Rev. Powell

My vote apparently didn't get counted, but I've seen TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974), POLTERGEIST (1982) (which he probably didn't really direct), LIFEFORCE (1985) (agree with Alex that it's a fun movie, but not better than the original TCM), and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 (1986) (underrated IMO).

(For multiple choices the poll should have check boxes, not circular buttons.)
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

M.10rda

I've seen 12, including EGGSHELLS, which is entirely worth seeing w/ a couple of incredible sequences.

Although nothing comes close to O.G. TCM, I will opine that POLTERGEIST, LIFEFORCE, and INVADERS FROM MARS all remain worthwhile and all reflect clear signs of the Hooper touch. Spielberg's DNA is obviously also all over POLTERGEIST, and I accept that Hooper was off-set (or comatose) during multiple days of production, but there are scenes and images in POLTERGEIST that are similar to scenes and images in EGGSHELLS, and Spielberg never directed anything like EGGSHELLS...

TCM2 in toto is such a disappointment to me, even now, though it hits the notes a couple times. That first scene w/ Stretch and Chop Top in the radio station is almost magic.

Everything after that is just sad. Ted Levine is damn good in THE MANGLER, too, but that film has zero inherent juice...

claws

Seen:

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) 4.0 (Great)
2. Poltergeist (1982) 4.0 (Great)
3. Salem's Lot (1979) 3.5 (Very Good)
4. Lifeforce (1985) 3.0 (Good)
5. The Funhouse (1981) 2.5 (Flawed but Worthy)
6. Venom (1981) 2.5 (Flawed but Worthy)
7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) 2.5 (Flawed but Worthy)
8. Invaders from Mars (1986) 2.5 (Flawed but Worthy)
9. Eaten Alive (1976) 2.5 (Flawed but Worthy)
10. Toolbox Murders (2004) 2.0 (Fair)
11. Spontaneous Combustion (1989) 1.5 (Barely Sufficient)
12. The Mangler (1995) 1.0 (Poor)
13. Mortuary (2005) 1.0 (Poor)
14. The Dark (1979) 1.0 (Poor)
15. Crocodile (2000) 0.5 (Very Poor)

Seems like Hooper lost his mojo after Lifeforce (1985)

Average movie rating: 2.10 (Fair)

Is it October yet?

Trevor

I've seen ten of them including THE MANGLER which was filmed in a Johannesburg warehouse 😳

Venom was based on a book by a South African author 🐍☺️
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

zombie no.one

Quote from: Rev. Powell on September 18, 2024, 05:19:49 PM(For multiple choices the poll should have check boxes, not circular buttons.)

I've tried everything to make it allow multiple votes, but it ignores my settings when I save it... :hatred:

Quote from: M.10rda on September 18, 2024, 06:03:01 PMthere are scenes and images in POLTERGEIST that are similar to scenes and images in EGGSHELLS, and Spielberg never directed anything like EGGSHELLS...

interesting.

yeah TCM2 is like a 'one watch' movie. glad I saw it but no need to revisit

as great as it is, the first TCM has too much prolonged screaming for me, which is a bit of a pet hate

bob

POLTERGEIST (1982)

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974)
Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa, Villeneuve - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Archivist

EGGSHELLS (1971) - nope, what even is that?

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) - nope, and probably never will, yucky

EATEN ALIVE (1976) - I have no idea what that is

THE DARK (1979) - not this, either

SALEM'S LOT (1979) - yes, this was kind of fun

THE FUNHOUSE (1981) - never heard of it

VENOM (1981) - no

POLTERGEIST (1982) - yes

LIFEFORCE (1985) - YESSSSSSS - but I can't quite separate how much I like Lifeforce from how much I liked Mathilda May, and how much I liked that it was an adaptation of a Colin Wilson novel.

INVADERS FROM MARS (1986) - nope

And nothing else from the list from there.
"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus

M.10rda

Quote from: Archivist on October 10, 2024, 04:58:49 AMEGGSHELLS (1971) - nope, what even is that?

His debut feature, usually referred to as a "counterculture" film - shaggy young people tuning in, turning on, and dropping out, that sort of thing. A freeform narrative that takes frequent tangents into surrealism, it has more in common w/ Lynch or Jodorowski's highly subjective early works than w/ any of Hooper's later stuff. However it does have a handful of really freaky nightmarish sequences....... presumably born out of bad acid trips? In that way it evokes some comparisons w/ TCM and POLTERGEIST for me.