Main Menu

What was the first movie you ever seen in a theater?

Started by RCMerchant, August 27, 2024, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMerchant

The first time I went to see a movie was with my Aunt Carol and my brother Mike.
PLANET OF THE APES (1968). I was 6. It was somewhere near Wappinger Falls, NY.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Rev. Powell

I was too young to remember. It was probably the 70s re-release of BAMBI. My parents told me I was traumatized.

I remember seeing MURDER BY DEATH (1976) in a theater, not sure if it was my first or not.

First movie I remember seeing at the drive-in was YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

LilCerberus

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 27, 2024, 01:55:21 PMI was too young to remember. It was probably the 70s re-release of BAMBI. My parents told me I was traumatized.
Same here, except I don't really remember much of it....
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Trevor

Murder on The Orient Express.

I was 7.

It made a huge impression on me.

I will always be grateful to my parents for taking me there 😊😊🐢
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

RCMerchant

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 27, 2024, 01:55:21 PMFirst movie I remember seeing at the drive-in was YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

I seen it at the Strand in Paw Paw! (not a drive-in, though.)
The first movie is saw at a drive-in was 2001: A SPACE ODESSY in 1968 or'69.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

pacman000

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/

M.10rda

Wow, the BAMBI re-release got a lot of us! It feels like that was my first theatrical visit, or the earliest I remember - but it was re-released wide to theaters in '75 and '82, which is either too early for me or too late. (By '82 I was a hardcore preschool horror addict, lol.) Maybe one of the local arthouses did a limited engagement of it in '79 or '80 - which seems like the right time frame for me to be entirely too young to see it and yet I saw it and had to be taken out in tears. I have the same recollection (oddly) about THE ARISTOCATS... which was re-released theatrically nationwide in December 1980.

Prior to ARISTOCATS, I clearly remember seeing EMPIRE in the summer of 1980 at the drive-in... possibly the same one that I still visit near my house, though there were several around here back then. I recall parts of it clearly, and I recall the football highlights that they played before and after EMPIRE (though they didn't interest me). The second feature was KRAMER VS. KRAMER, still hanging around after its Oscar victories. I think I fell asleep by the end of the opening credits and I've still never seen it.

Alex

Going by the release dates of the films I can remember seeing back then, I'd have to take a guess that Watership Down was the first one I saw in the theatre.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

zombie no.one

101 DALMATIONS, for my 6th birthday... must've been some kind of random showing / re-release thing?

I vividly remember having a packet of cola flavour sweets I was eating during the film, and thinking how weird they tasted. When I got out I realised each one had been individually wrapped, and I'd been eating them with the paper wrappers on! It was too dark to see that in the cinema
Quotethe movie was cringe, corny, cheesy and "what the biscuits" is with this atrocious acting and childish corny thing of a movie???

Neville

My mum would take to the theatre now and then when I was really young. I remember distinctively watching "E.T.", "Superman III", "The Purple Color" and "Firewalker". Of all these, "E.T." has to be the oldest one, and I should have been like 5 years old.

The first film I went to watch on my own was "Batman" in 1989, being 12.
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on August 28, 2024, 02:25:34 AMGoing by the release dates of the films I can remember seeing back then, I'd have to take a guess that Watership Down was the first one I saw in the theatre.

And I thought BAMBI was traumatic for a youngster... WATERSHIP DOWN ain't for kids. "Look, Alex, another cute little bunny-wunny got mutilated!"
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Alex

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 28, 2024, 09:13:55 AM
Quote from: Alex on August 28, 2024, 02:25:34 AMGoing by the release dates of the films I can remember seeing back then, I'd have to take a guess that Watership Down was the first one I saw in the theatre.

And I thought BAMBI was traumatic for a youngster... WATERSHIP DOWN ain't for kids. "Look, Alex, another cute little bunny-wunny got mutilated!"

Honestly at that age it was just another cartoon to me.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

RCMerchant

The first movie I seen at the theater (without my parents or an adult- they dropped me and my brother Mike off) was WILLARD (1971). The one about a guy and his killer rats. I was 9.
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

zombie no.one

Quote from: RCMerchant on August 28, 2024, 09:25:59 AMThe first movie I seen at the theater (without my parents or an adult- they dropped me and my brother Mike off) was WILLARD (1971). The one about a guy and his killer rats. I was 9.

I only saw that for the first time last year...
Quotethe movie was cringe, corny, cheesy and "what the biscuits" is with this atrocious acting and childish corny thing of a movie???

FatFreddysCat

I'm pretty sure it was one of the "Herbie, The Love Bug" movies, but I have no idea which one.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat