Main Menu

Space Mutiny

Started by Zapranoth, June 15, 2024, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapranoth

Trevor.  Trevor.  What did your country do.

Why, Trevor?  Whyyyyyyy?

Trevor

Quote from: Zapranoth on June 15, 2024, 06:35:54 PMTrevor.  Trevor.  What did your country do.

Why, Trevor?  Whyyyyyyy?

Oy 😳😁😂😂😂😂😂

I am sitting here at 2:20 am with terrible insomnia.

I have now laughed for the first time in what seems like days: thank you and I am now smiling. 😁😁

This terrible POS movie was filmed in a filthy Johannesburg toilet and underpants factory with sunlight pouring through windows (in space) with floor cleaners doubling as speeders.

What is worse is that a mentor and friend of mine, Vincent Cox ASC did the photography on this 😳😎

Just FYI, there were way worse films than this being made around the same time, during the so-called subsidy film era. 😳😳😳

It's just gone 3 am, I think I can now have a sleep. Thanks 😊😊😌🙏🐢
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

chainsaw midget

Look at it this way, if this movie had never been made, we would have lost out on a very entertaining episode of MST3K making fun of it.

Trevor

Quote from: chainsaw midget on June 15, 2024, 08:44:03 PMLook at it this way, if this movie had never been made, we would have lost out on a very entertaining episode of MST3K making fun of it.

True words 😁😁

Zapranoth

We did watch the mst3k version, me and my older two kids.

For those who haven't watched this film, it is putatively about a colony ship, and the fight for their ultimate mission. Needless to say, absolutely no one in this film can act. It is shot in some kind of factory that is brightly lit, and the filtering of the light is all messed up, the original Director had a tragedy in his life and so the second Director had to take over. No one was happy with the result, and at the end, everyone was trying to get their name off of being the Director of this.

Really stand out bad parts are:

-  Extremely bad acting all around, especially the main bad guy who looks like he's trying to explode himself with enthusiasm and "evil."  Main good guy is this huge beefcake who flexes, tumbles and fires his blaster as though he is throwing punches with it.

-  Endless railing deaths. Endless. So much of the movie consists of people running around on catwalks and up and down little railing stairs. And getting shot and falling off of them.

-  in the mid part of the film, there is a chase sequence that is done with floor waxers that have been repainted. They appear to travel about 2 mph. At one point, the heroine overtakes them wearing high heels.  They slammed them into each other like little bumper cars as though they're doing battle on the Fury Road.  What utterly destroyed us, though, was when they brought the little bumper cars *back* for the grand finale battle. We were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe.

-   Also, there are segments of space battle that are simply footage taken from the older Battlestar Galactica series. External footage of the colony ship is footage of the Galactica run backwards. Vipers and cylon raiders do battle with stock footage. At one point there is a battle with "space pirates" which are cylon base stars.  How the hell did they get permission to do that?  Oh, right, they didn't bother.

-  I'm missing a lot of other badness. But, I am shuddering to think that many other "worse" films were made than this around that time.

Gabriel Knight

I think the funnier part of the movie is when they use the same actresses for an extra while the character she played early died.
Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2

Zapranoth

We concluded that the dead girl showing up his bridge crew again was probably an editing room mistake.

Oh! How could I forget. How about all of the add on footage of the seducto-witches who spend time doing interpretive dance in scanty clothes while massaging plasma balls and casting spells on the crew that have no effect on the plot?

Trevor

Quote from: Zapranoth on June 16, 2024, 10:43:42 AMWe did watch the mst3k version, me and my older two kids.

For those who haven't watched this film, it is putatively about a colony ship, and the fight for their ultimate mission. Needless to say, absolutely no one in this film can act. It is shot in some kind of factory that is brightly lit, and the filtering of the light is all messed up, the original Director had a tragedy in his life and so the second Director had to take over. No one was happy with the result, and at the end, everyone was trying to get their name off of being the Director of this.

Really stand out bad parts are:

-  Extremely bad acting all around, especially the main bad guy who looks like he's trying to explode himself with enthusiasm and "evil."  Main good guy is this huge beefcake who flexes, tumbles and fires his blaster as though he is throwing punches with it.

-  Endless railing deaths. Endless. So much of the movie consists of people running around on catwalks and up and down little railing stairs. And getting shot and falling off of them.

-  in the mid part of the film, there is a chase sequence that is done with floor waxers that have been repainted. They appear to travel about 2 mph. At one point, the heroine overtakes them wearing high heels.  They slammed them into each other like little bumper cars as though they're doing battle on the Fury Road.  What utterly destroyed us, though, was when they brought the little bumper cars *back* for the grand finale battle. We were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe.

-   Also, there are segments of space battle that are simply footage taken from the older Battlestar Galactica series. External footage of the colony ship is footage of the Galactica run backwards. Vipers and cylon raiders do battle with stock footage. At one point there is a battle with "space pirates" which are cylon base stars.  How the hell did they get permission to do that?  Oh, right, they didn't bother.

-  I'm missing a lot of other badness. But, I am shuddering to think that many other "worse" films were made than this around that time.

Neal Sundstrom took over from David Winters and the film was made in a Johannesburg industrial warehouse 😳

In that period, the SA government was encouraging film production via a subsidy scheme and the amount of 💩 that was produced then, like RETURN OF THE FAMILY MAN, LASER MISSION and others was incredible with so-called filmmakers who didn't know which end of the camera to look through and were only in it for the money becoming rich and cast and crews either being paid very little or not at all. 🙄🥴😳

Trevor

Quote from: Gabriel Knight on June 16, 2024, 10:48:15 AMI think the funnier part of the movie is when they use the same actresses for an extra while the character she played early died.

That was Billy Second 😉

Trevor

Quote from: Zapranoth on June 16, 2024, 11:49:44 AMWe concluded that the dead girl showing up his bridge crew again was probably an editing room mistake.

Oh! How could I forget. How about all of the add on footage of the seducto-witches who spend time doing interpretive dance in scanty clothes while massaging plasma balls and casting spells on the crew that have no effect on the plot?

And all those hula hoops 🥴

pacman000

Quote from: Trevor on June 16, 2024, 12:05:19 PMAlso, there are segments of space battle that are simply footage taken from the older Battlestar Galactica series. External footage of the colony ship is footage of the Galactica run backwards. Vipers and cylon raiders do battle with stock footage. At one point there is a battle with "space pirates" which are cylon base stars.  How the hell did they get permission to do that?  Oh, right, they didn't bother.
I wonder if this was meant as some sort of unofficial Battlestar sequel. If I remember right, the colony ship captain was dressed up a bit like Adama in Galactica 1980.
Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/

Rev. Powell

Quote from: pacman000 on June 17, 2024, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: Trevor on June 16, 2024, 12:05:19 PMAlso, there are segments of space battle that are simply footage taken from the older Battlestar Galactica series. External footage of the colony ship is footage of the Galactica run backwards. Vipers and cylon raiders do battle with stock footage. At one point there is a battle with "space pirates" which are cylon base stars.  How the hell did they get permission to do that?  Oh, right, they didn't bother.
I wonder if this was meant as some sort of unofficial Battlestar sequel. If I remember right, the colony ship captain was dressed up a bit like Adama in Galactica 1980.

It's called "rip off."  :twirl:
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Zapranoth

The hula hoop rave was quite reminiscent of Buck Rogers TV show, though.  Yes, just a lot of ripping off going on.