Main Menu

BuzzFeed's 18 Bad Movies People Love To Hate-Watch

Started by claws, June 15, 2024, 10:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claws

Recent list from BuzzFeed inspired by Reddit. A few odd choices, there.

1. Mamma Mia! (2008)  "The moment Pierce Brosnan starts singing, you can't help but wet yourself laughing."

2. The Day After Tomorrow (2004) "It somehow manages to be better than the sum of its parts. I think they just had a good time making it, and it really shows onscreen."

3. Dude, Where's My Car? (2000) "Such an utterly stupid and dumb concept, but funny all the same."

4. Teen Witch (1989) "I had completely forgotten about Teen Witch until I read your comment, so I had to look it up to make sure I was remembering right. It has 43% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty good for a movie targeted at preteen girls when all the critics are adults, and I think mostly dudes, lol."

5. Super Mario Bros. (1993) "That s**t was my childhood, lmao. Love that movie."

6. Maximum Overdrive (1986) "Lmao, that movie is so f**king ridiculous and is indeed hard-carried by the soundtrack."

7. Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny (2006) "That movie is a masterpiece. Tenacious D needs to make a sequel!"

8. The Room (2003) "I can't watch it alone, but put me in a movie theater with a couple hundred other people throwing spoons, singing and yelling at the screen, and it's one of my faves."

9. Escape from L.A. (1996) "Oh man, that movie is awesomely bad! First time I saw it, I was sick and loopy and thought I had hallucinated some of it, including the sewer surfing. Nope! It's just the way the movie is!"

10. Street Fighter (1994) "Raul Julia is phenomenal in this movie. I watch it purely because he is in it. He nails every scene. RIP."

11. Tremors (1990) "Tremors is in no way a 'bad' film, though. It's extremely well put together with a good three-act structure. It uses proper setups (e.g., the explosives cause the Graboids to hightail it in the opposite direction, which sets up the final kill). The characters are all likable. The SFX are almost all extremely well done, with only one really bad comp job. It's in no way a bad film."

12. Road House (1989) "Road House is the unintentionally funniest movie of all time, and it only gets funnier the more you talk about it."

13. Showgirls (1995) "It's the train wreck movie you can't stop looking at, and, honestly, the storyline isn't that bad. Not very original, but not bad. It's Elizabeth Berkeley's overacting that made it the cult classic that it is. (Seriously the scene with the fries was too much. So many perfectly good fries wasted.)"

14. Sharknado (TV Movie 2013) "Name a more iconic scene than Tara Reid giving birth inside a shark and chainsawing her way out."

15. Shoot 'Em Up (2007) "Shoot 'Em Up feels like a live-action Looney Tunes flick. It's so over the top, I love it."

16. Eurotrip (2000) "With one of the best songs!"

17. Alien vs. Predator (2004) "This. The movie is full of stupid characters, a stupid plot, stupid action. The movie is so hilariously bad that it becomes good — I watch it a lot."

18. Twilight (2008) "Twilight is absolutely hilarious."
Is it October yet?

RCMerchant

Odd list? More like stupid, inane list. Makes no sense.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Rev. Powell

I guess I have trouble with the concept of "hate-watch." It seems conceptually different from "so bad it's good," but maybe it's the exact same thing. I hate to watch movies I hate, and I love to watch bad movies that are unintentionally funny and/or strange.

Off the list, I genuinely like THE ROOM and SHOWGIRLS (which are both bad movies). I legitimately hate SHARKNADO (and I don't want to hate-watch it).
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

M.10rda

EUROTRIP is pretty hilarious and generally well-acted. Not much to hate, there.

I watched TEEN WITCH some years ago w/ Mademoiselle - one of her childhood faves. Although much of it is innocuous and uninteresting, there are several short sequences that feel straight out of BREAKIN' 2 or a Bruno Mattei film... in other words, there's enough sporadic ultra-absurdity to warrant a non-hate-filled viewing.

zombie no.one

Quote from: claws on June 15, 2024, 10:15:08 AM11. Tremors (1990) "Tremors is in no way a 'bad' film, though. It's extremely well put together with a good three-act structure. It uses proper setups (e.g., the explosives cause the Graboids to hightail it in the opposite direction, which sets up the final kill). The characters are all likable. The SFX are almost all extremely well done, with only one really bad comp job. It's in no way a bad film."

I'm really confused.
please do not mock my potato.

RCMerchant

If TREMORS is no way a "bad" film, why is it on the list? Stupid.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

chainsaw midget

I will defend Street Fighter until my dying day. 

That was such a fun and entertaining movie.  It wasn't just Raul that made it either.  There were a lot of good performances.  I'm not talking good like "Oscar worthy" but they all seemed to be having fun.

claws

Quote from: M.10rda on June 15, 2024, 11:55:12 AMI watched TEEN WITCH some years ago w/ Mademoiselle - one of her childhood faves. Although much of it is innocuous and uninteresting, there are several short sequences that feel straight out of BREAKIN' 2 or a Bruno Mattei film... in other words, there's enough sporadic ultra-absurdity to warrant a non-hate-filled viewing.

I've never seen Teen Witch back in the day. I first watched it a few years ago. It is certainly a gem, and adorably cringy. The high amount of cheese is what makes the movie very entertaining.
Is it October yet?

claws

Quote12. Road House (1989) "Road House is the unintentionally funniest movie of all time, and it only gets funnier the more you talk about it."

Not sure about all time unintentionally funniest, but it's up there somewhere. I think the same applies to Point Break (1991), which works for me both ways as a straight-up action movie or for a unintentionally hilarious good time when I'm in the mood.
Is it October yet?

RCMerchant

6. Maximum Overdrive (1986)  That movie is ok.

8. The Room (2003) I loved the ROOM.

9. Escape from L.A. (1996)  It wasn't "BAD" bad, just mediocre.

11. Tremors (1990) "Tremors is in no way a 'bad' film, " Then why is it on this list,?

12. Road House (1989) Again, just mediocre.

14. Sharknado (TV Movie 2013) It was intentional camp- which I don't like. Like that KILLER TOMATOS movie.

These are the only ones I have seen from that lame list. And, like the Rev, I didn't hate any of them.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!

claws

^ Yeah, so strange they would include Tremors but admit it is not a bad movie.
Is it October yet?

zombie no.one

Quote from: claws on June 15, 2024, 10:15:08 AM2. The Day After Tomorrow (2004) "It somehow manages to be better than the sum of its parts. I think they just had a good time making it, and it really shows onscreen."

still confused... in what universe is this the criteria for a 'hate-watch'?
please do not mock my potato.

M.10rda

This list is what happens when normies decide to make a Bad Movies list but they've spent their lives cultivating almost exclusively normcore viewing habits and tastes (instead of hanging around this website, as they should!).

They can't think of worse movies than ROADHOUSE because they rarely diverge from the mainstream sufficiently to see "real" bad movies, unless they've read about that bad movie (#8) on hundreds of other lists already.

But, they also can't think of worse movies because their concept of a "bad" movie is hopelessly invested in what the majority of the people they know think is a good movie, or in other words what they know is popular.

MAMMA MIA! is not a very good movie, but even just among musicals, there are much worse movies. I saw JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS last year, and it's far more senseless and deranged yet also less entertaining than most of the movies on this list - yet the author of the list hasn't heard of it let alone seen it. They've heard of or seen the LES MISERABLES movie from a decade ago, though, and the second half of that one is also worse than the entirety of MAMMA MIA!

Heck, let's just do Meryl Streep films: as I've stated in the past, THE HOURS is a much worse film than MAMMA MIA! - an appalling film in most regards. THE HOURS is probably worse than any film on this list (though I haven't seen all of them). I'd definitely watch THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW one hundred times before I'd watch THE HOURS again.

The author of this list has likely seen or at least heard of THE HOURS, but would never consider to put it on this list. Only one possible rationale exists: this author is a sheeperson.

M.10rda

Would anyone else like to see this author's list of FAVORITE or "Best" films? I would bet you $10 that said list contains at least one Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly buddy movie. The blurb following will say something like "Comedy just doesn't get better than this".

Rev. Powell

Quote from: M.10rda on June 16, 2024, 08:44:29 AMWould anyone else like to see this author's list of FAVORITE or "Best" films? I would bet you $10 that said list contains at least one Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly buddy movie. The blurb following will say something like "Comedy just doesn't get better than this".

$10 says SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is their #1!
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...